When we moved into our shop, we moved into an empty box. Sir Knight and my dad built a loft and stairs and we used furniture groupings to delineate rooms. Over the years the "shouse" has become more and more homey but, of course, still lacks any kind of architectural detail. Every ounce of "character" has had to come from us, not the shop.
Ever since Sir Knight, the children and I salvaged beams from a pioneer era milking barn, I have been wanting to use one of the beams as a mantle over our Procom gas stove. This past weekend, Sir Knight and Master Calvin got out their saws and drills and brought my anticipated barn beam mantle to life!
The first thing they did was measure the stove and determine how tall the mantle needed to be. After measuring the barn beam, we determined how far apart the supports needed to be and cut those out of old oak packing crate beams. Once the cuts had been made Sir Knight drilled through the uprights into the beam and then secured them with extra large screws, which he countersunk, so they wouldn't be evident from the face of the mantle.
|The mantle balancing on the uprights|
|Putting in the screws|
|Help from Master Calvin|
|The new mantle - front and center!|
The mantle was such a small thing, but it has delighted me immensely! I know that many a blustery winter evening will be spent gathered around the hearth, enjoying the beauty that Sir Knight and young Master Calvin wrought with their work-worn hands.